It’s time to say a BIG No!!!
We are a country, where arranged marriages are still the norm and young girls are wedded off to a groom their parents deem fit. Most often girls seldom have a say in the selection. Amidst all this, are quite a few young girls who are rejecting their groom right on the big day of their wedding.
The reasons may seem hilarious and trivial but when you scratch deep inside and look, it speaks volumes, about courage, where young girls are actually calling the shots.
Marriage is a big affair in India. When marriages are arranged, lot of things go into it. Family backgrounds, social status, financial condition etc.. of the bride as well as the groom are checked by the respective parents. However if, for whatever the reason, the alliance breaks, very often the brunt of it is borne by the girl. Tongues often start to wag about the credibility of the girl. It is for this reason , young girls seldom call off their wedding, in order to save their parents from any embarrassment, succumbing to the wedding irrespective of whether they may be happy in it or not.
This is more common in smaller towns with closer communities living together. But in the last few months, a spate of marriages has been called off by young girls. Considering their social backgrounds and the small towns they belong to, such a step speaks volumes, about their courage- to stand up for what is right. It shows their understanding of marriage and what they actually want from it.
Our movies have shown it many times in different ways. But here are some real time cases. Worth a ponder.
- The case of the mathematical bride: In Rasoolabad village, Kanpur, a girl refused to get married after the groom failed to answer her elementary school math problem.
- Drinking not acceptable: A young bride in Mahoba district refused her groom after he came drunk, in an inebriated state.
- Dirty Dancing: Samastipur district in Bihar saw a young bride refusing to marry her bridegroom after he was seen dirty dancing with the members of the marriage procession!!
- When you can’t see: A bride called off her wedding near Aonla, UP when she noticed her groom was unable to perform the wedding rituals due to poor eyesight.
- The hidden truth: When a groom had seizures at the wedding in Rampur, Uttar Pradesh, the bride got angry over the fact that his epilepsy was kept hidden from her. She quickly chose a guest, another member of the family and tied the knot with him.
- All about money honey: When the bride’s friends asked the groom to count a wad of currency notes, the groom looked lost and was unable to do so. When the bride realized this, she immediately called off the wedding.